En Minesa el respeto por el entorno es una prioridad. El compromiso ambiental está en nuestro ADN. Queremos ir mucho más allá de lo que la legislación establece, es decir, desarrollar actividades de protección ambiental que parten de nuestras iniciativas. La minería responsable sí es posible. De hecho, estamos convencidos que la minería formal, la minería legal, es la mejor herramienta para garantizar la preservación del AGUA.
Principales acciones ambientalesDesde la etapa exploratoria en la que nos encontramos, desarrollamos las mejores prácticas medioambientales para demostrar que la actividad minera sí es compatible con el medio ambiente.
- Management of environmental liabilities from old Mining
Para conocer más sobre la gestión de Minesa para recuperar los pasivos ambientales de Soto Norte mira este video:
- Forest Compensation Program Para la compensación ambiental se ha trabajado en la siembra comunitaria. Hasta el momento, hay un total de 83.400 árboles nativos sembrados en la provincia de Soto Norte. Asimismo, trabajamos con 20 habitantes de California en el programa de Guardianes Ambientales, con el objetivo de hacer limpiezas en cuencas hídricas y zonas verdes, y capacitar a los demás ciudadanos en el manejo de residuos.
Main environmental actionsDuring our exploration stage, we developed environmental practices to prove mining activity is compatible with the environment.
- Management of legacy mining environmental liabilities: We have deliberately and voluntarily recovered environmental liabilities in our mining titles which were created by legacy mining and have established mechanisms for controlling the cumulative impacts in order to mitigate their negative impact on the environment. The most relevant activities include:- Dismantling of unused traditional mining mills located on our titles; removal of equipment, infrastructure and waste products; rehabilitation of soils, landscape and vegetation.- Closing of abandoned mine portals and landscaping of its surroundings. This activity has a legal component since some closings require enforcement to protect mining concessions by closing illegal mining activities.- Management and control of water drainage from historic mine workings. In collaboration with Santander’s Industrial University (UIS), a water treatment plant has been installed for managing discharges from the historic mines to guarantee the quality of nearby sources. – One of the environmental liabilities we are removing is mercury-contaminated sand. Recently, 360 tons of this waste found on our titles was removed by a company specialized in the disposal and treatment of contaminated soil. All these liabilities constitute environmental impacts we have not generated but inherited. Nevertheless, we are committed to recovering the environment and contributing to the quality of life of the inhabitants of the region.
- Reforestation program: Minesa is currently developing a 22,000-tree reforestation program, planted during the second rainy season of 2015. During the first rainy season of 2016, an additional 20,000 trees will be planted.This reforestation consists of native species planted in enviromentally strategic spots within Minesa’s lands. Furthermore, these plantations will be maintaned to guarantee the rooting of the trees.
- Enviroment evaluation, studies and partnerships: Looking for mechanisms of environmental protection and respect, Minesa works hand in hand with the institutions in charge of environmental issues in the Soto Norte province. Hence, through a partnership with CDMB (Regional Environmental Protection Agency), Minesa contributes resources for the operation of the water treatment plants of the 5 municipalities in the region, guaranteeing a healthy environment for these communities.Minesa also works with UIS (Santander Industrial University) on the creation of a framework agreement which sees UIS’ environmental disciplines develop research projects, and promote internships or theses about specific topics such as genetic and vegetal physiology, which will develop a better understanding of our surrounding ecosystems. With financial support from Minesa this research agreement with UIS is expected to publish its first results in 2016.